Dr Liz Dawes-Higgs is a highly educated and passionate dermatologist. As a business leader she has established a busy dermatology practice with Dr Nina Wines on Sydney’s North Shore, and as an educator she currently teaches and mentors students through the Australian College of Dermatologists and Concord Hospital. She is a State and National Examiner for the Australasian College of Dermatologists.
Dr Liz’s research and professional knowledge has been widely published and in 2004 she received the Scheering-Plough Award for her laboratory-based research. Dr Dawes-Higgs is frequently asked for comments in the popular media such as radio 2UE and including regular contributions as a Beauty Advisor to Women’s Health Magazine.
Dr Dawes-Higgs has two degrees, in Medicine and Engineering, and she has been awarded a Doctor of Philosophy from The University of Sydney. Her research involved studying the biomechanical properties of skin which allowed her to become the co-inventor of a device for examining the elastic properties of skin.
As an Australian medical professional, Dr Dawes-Higgs has travelled as a volunteer to The Cook Islands where she worked as a doctor, and also to Nepal where she built a house for a widow and her family. During her visits she has cared for children and local residents, many of which did not have a regular doctor, and learning how isolated some communities are.
Dr Dawes-Higgs has a special interest in acne scarring and female genital dermatology. She also performs rejuvenation treatments such as dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle treatments and is particularly known for her skill and ability to achieve a natural refreshed look for her patients.
Currently, Dr Dawes-Higgs is working on advanced techniques using vascular, pigment and fractionated laser systems for the treatment of acne and surgical scars and conditions such as broken capillaries, liver spots and pigmentation on the body. Her professional interests also include axillary hyperhidrosis and skin cancer management.
Qualifications & Memberships:
• MB BS BSc(Med) – Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery obtained from the University of NSW in 1996
• BE (Mech) – Bachelor of Engineering majoring in Biomechanical Engineering in 1989
• PhD – Doctor of Philosophy in Medicine from the University of Sydney in 2007
• FACD – Fellow of the Australasian College of Dermatologists in 2006. Awarded after completing a 5-year Australasian College of Dermatologists Training Program
• Member of the Australasian Society of Cosmetic Dermatology
• Member of the American Academy of Dermatology
• Member of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
• Member of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
• Member of the International Academy of Cosmetic Dermatology
• Member of the Australian and New Zealand Vulvovaginal Society
• Member of the International Society for the Study of Vulvar Disease
• Member of the Medical Women’s Society of NSW
• Member of the Australian Federation of Medical Women
• Member of the Women’s Dermatologic Society
• Medical Director and Consultant Dermatologist, Northern Sydney Dermatology, Level 2, 115 Sailors Bay Road, Northbridge, NSW
• Visiting Medical Officer, Concord Hospital, Hospital Road, Concord, NSW
• Consultant Dermatologist, The Mater Hospital, Rocklands Road, Crows Nest
• Lecturer, Vulval Dermatology, Sexual Health & Family Planning Australia